December 9, 2015

life at home

now that we are home, we are starting to settle into life as a family of four. I wanted to write about kennedy's first week and a half at home so that I can remember these beginning days- the good and the not so pretty aspects of life. after arriving home after our 2-day hospital stay, it has been so good to be home. 

my parents were able to come home with us and helped make the transition home smoother until they left on Thursday. when they did leave, it was SO hard to say goodbye to them. the combination of them leaving to go back home to Thailand, and not knowing when we would next see them was so hard. my "baby blues" kicked in after saying goodbye, and I was an emotional mess for a few days after. the saddest moment was hearing ruby kay say, "nani and papa?" when she heard the door open, and me having to explain that they had left. goodbyes are no fun at all. 

luckily, ben's mom, sue was able to come stay with us from Saturday until today, Wednesday. ben had meetings this week, and sue was such a great help to me. she was able to take ruby kay to the park and "fa-la-lay"(CFA) which are her favorites. i don't think i could have survived without her! 

after having a routine and rhythym as a family of three, we are having to relearn how to thrive as a family of four. our sweet kennedy has been a heavy sleeper in the mornings and afternoons, but at night she can be fussy. once she does fall asleep, she has slept up to 5-6 hour stretches, which is so great. ruby kay has done so well with kennedy's arrival, and loves to give her kisses, hugs, and her pacifier whenever she cries. the hardest time with ruby kay is watching her while i nurse kennedy, and when ruby kay craves my attention. 

in this season of feeling overwhelmed, emotional, and exhausted I keep having to remind myself that this will last for a short time. being a mama for the second time, I can see how fast time passes, and how important it is to be present. each day I journal asking God for grace when I fail, and for patience when things are out of my control. I truly have so much to be thankful for.
 one week old kennedy frances
big sissy ruby kay with her "baby kennedy" the first morning home together. such a sweet bond already forming between these two.

No comments: