September 28, 2011

pasta e fagioli soup

Okay friends, I HAVE to share my new favorite recipe. I just made it for the second time tonight after some serious cravings for the awesome soup. Ben is all about saving soups for "soup weather". I don't know if we are quite in soup weather yet, but I couldn't resist.

I thought I would share this recipe for any of you that need some new recipes in your life. Enjoy!


Pasta e Fagioli Soup
1 lb. ground beef
1 T olive oil
1 onion
1 carrot
1 celery stalk, sliced
1 14oz. can diced tomatoes
1 15oz. can white beans (rinsed & drained)
4 cups beef broth
1 t marjoram leaves, crumbled
1/2 cup dry elbow macaroni (I used more)
2 T chopped parsley
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice (about 2-3 lemons)
2 T Tabasco sauce


Saute the beef in olive oil in a large saucepan over moderately high heat; remove beef with slotted spoon & set aside. Saute onion, carrot, & celery in the drippings for about 3-4 min or until onion is transparent. Add the tomatoes and their liquid. Cover & simmer 12 min. Bring the mixture to a boil & add the pasta. Boil 6-7 min or until pasta is barely tender. Stir in parsley, lemon juice & Tabasco. Serve Immediately & enjoy.